410-835-8678

410 - 835-8678

info@willards.com

Chicken BBQ's

Home / About us

Big Chicken Deal

Mr. Richardson once said of the fire company, “It was built by the local people to serve the local people.” Shortly after establishing a charter the company purchased their first new engine for $1000. It was a 1929 American LaFrance engine with a 350gpm pump and a 150 gallon water tank. This engine was known as Big John and served an area from Millsboro, DE to Snow Hill, MD. Then in 1939 the company purchased another American LaFrance engine this one having a 350gpm pump and a 300 gallon water tank. This engine is still in the possession of the company, it was completely refurbished for the 75th anniversary. In 1953 the company purchased an American LaFrance engine with a 500gpm pump and a 750 gallon water tank. In 1960 a surplus 1953 GMC Army tanker with 250gpm rear mount pump and a 1250 gallon water tank was acquired. This tanker was refurbished in 1975 and fitted with a front mount pump. In 1968 a Ford Young Engine was bought, this engine had a 750gpm pump and a 1000 gallon water tank. This Engine served the Willards community until 1996. In 1977 the company along with the Ladies Auxiliary purchased a 1973 GMC step van to transport members of the two organizations to the numerous parades and other various events they attended. This vehicle was later converted to a squad for the company and outfitted with a full SCBA cascade system. It served in this capacity until 1994 when a used 1978 cab over Chevy with an 18ft Swab rescue body was purchased to serve as our first rescue truck.

Through the years the company has had several units and currently runs custom built ambulances. They are staffed 7 days a week with a paid Paramedic which are supported by volunteer ALS and BLS providers. The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1942 and has been essential in helping the company throughout the years. The company has fought since its early days to maintain an operating budget in many ways. They had oyster and chicken dinners, carnivals, bar-b-que chicken by the roadside, and bingo for countless years to help supplement the state and county funding.

Through the years the company has had several units and currently runs custom built ambulances. They are staffed 7 days a week with a paid Paramedic which are supported by volunteer ALS and BLS providers. The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1942 and has been essential in helping the company throughout the years. The company has fought since its early days to maintain an operating budget in many ways. They had oyster and chicken dinners, carnivals, bar-b-que chicken by the roadside, and bingo for countless years to help supplement the state and county funding.

At this time the company has over 20 active members and 27 life members. The Chief is C.K. Twilley, the Deputy Chief is Ken Twilley Sr, the 1st Assistant Chief is Tommy Dietz, and the 2nd Assistant Chief is Robert Hearn. The President is Dale White and the Vice President is Riley Scott. The Treasurer is Brenda Twilley and the Secretary is Vaughn Rayne. The company takes great pride in its history and looks forward to servicing the community for many years to come.

24/7 EMERGENCY HELP

Emergency Dial 9-1-1